Beetroot Avocado Spelt Buns
Beautiful bright bread buns made with precooked vacuum-packed beetroot, avocado and refined spelt bread flour. They are best served warm with soup, stews or for sandwiches. Besides its beautiful vibrant bright colour and awesome flavour, these homemade spelt buns are a lot healthier than white bread.
- Place chopped beetroot, avocado flesh, walnut oil and salt in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Transfer the beet-avocado puree in the bowl of your tabletop mixer with a dough hook attached. Mix on a low speed until combined, about 3 minutes. Increase the speed and knead the dough for a further 4 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Turn out the dough and shape into a ball. Coat the mixing bowl with a little bit of olive oil. Put in the ball of dough. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave to prove in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1½ hours.
- Knock back the dough and divide it into 9 equal pieces. Shape each piece of dough into a ball and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave them in a warm place to rise again for a further 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Brush the top of buns with a little bit of water and sprinkle some black sesame over. Bake the buns in the middle of hot oven for about 20 minutes.