Endives have been around for thousands of years and very popular with Greeks, Romans and Egyptians. It is a green veggie that appears very much like lettuce, aside from the fact that it really is wavy. Endive is really a bitter leafy veggie which is usually utilized in salads or even consumed like a side dish. Just like various other greens, endive has many nutritional values.
Here’s a fun appetizer that anyone can put together and your guests will love it.
- 20 cooked shrimp
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion greens
- 1 jalapeno (remove seeds)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 firm rise avocado pitted and peeled
- 3 small Belgian endives
- Chop shrimp into 1/4 inch pieces
- Add shrimp, lime juice, onion greens, salt and jalapeno to a medium bowl.
- Stir to combine and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Separate endive leaves and chill in cool water while shrimp mixture is cooling.
- Prior to serving, cut avocado into a 1/4 inch cubes and fold into shrimp mixture.
- Arrange leaves on platter.
- Spoon about 2 teaspoons shrimp salad onto each leaf.
- Garnish with onion greens.