Chocolate Pavlova Torte
Has berry season begun where you live?
This beautiful and naturally gluten free dessert is the perfect way to showcase the beautiful local berries available during the summer months.
This recipe will serve 12 so if you want to make a small dessert, simply divide the recipe in half, and make your pavlovas smaller!
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 150 grams / 5 ounces dark chocolate, melted in microwave
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 cups assorted berries
- chocolate shavings (made with a vegetable peeler)
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Trace 3 lunch sized plates with a pencil and then turn the paper over onto the cookie sheet. (if you are making half a recipe, use a saucer)
- Beat egg whites until frothy, and then add in sugar and cocoa powder (using a sieve) slowly while you continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in vanilla, and melted chocolate.
- Divide evenly as possible between the prepared pans. Smooth out meringue.
- Put the pans in the oven and turn the oven OFF. Do not open up the oven.
- Leave the meringues for at least 6 hours. When the meringues are cool, they will easily come off the parchment paper.
- Whip the cream with the sugar. Divide the whipped cream between the meringues. Sprinkle berries over each meringue, layer them and sprinkle the top of the torte with grated chocolate.
- Let the torte set in the refrigerator overnight, allowing the meringues will soften. If you do not let the pavlova sit overnight, the meringues will be crisp but it can still be eaten and is delicious either way.