Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
The other day I was having coffee with Terry’s aunt Wendy and she told me about the cookies she had brought to her cookie exchange. . .I just had to try making some like them, they sounded like they would be as pretty as they would taste.
Chocolate Peppermint Drop Cookies
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 farm fresh egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot coffee. . or water
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons crushed candy canes
- Cream the butter with the sugar.
- Add the egg and the vanilla and beat well.
- In a small bowl, combine the hot coffee and the cocoa and stir until no lumps remain.
- After it has completely cooled, add to the sugar mixture.
- Combine the dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture.
- Add the chocolate chips and the crushed candy canes.
- Drop by a small ice cream scoop onto a cookie sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 8 minutes for little cookies at 350. The shiny spot in the middle of the cookie should have gone dull. . .but don’t wait longer than that to remove them from the oven.
- Melt 1 cup each of chocolate chips and white chocolate chips.
- Put the melted chocolate in a zip loc bag or cake decorating bag and cut a small hole in the corner to squeeze the chocolate onto the cookie as shown.
- Sprinkle a little bit of crushed candy cane on top of each cookie while the chocolate is still melted.
Yield: 3 1/2 dozen small cookies