Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes ~ Grain-free, vegan, oil-free.
Okay, lovlies. Here is the cupcake recipe I promised you… chocolate… with peppermint… and chocolate frosting. Chocolate and peppermint are just a downright heavenly combination for me. But what’s really cool about these cupcakes is that they can be a plain chocolate cupcake, too! Just omit the peppermint extract and voilà! A chocolate cupcake for any occasion. And not only are they gluten-free, they’re grain-free! And oil-free, of course. I’m stoked.
The inspiration for these cupcakes was, believe it or not, a pancake recipe! I recently shared a pumpkin pancake recipe with you and the texture of it was so fine, it reminded me of actual cake, so with a few tweaks here and there, we now have a winner of a whole food cupcake. They’re moist with a deep chocolate flavor and have a beautiful crumb!
DISCLAIMER: Keep in mind, without the use of white flour, white sugar, eggs and butter/oil, these cakies are not as light and fluffy as a Standard American Diet cupcake! But they sure are yummy and you can enjoy them even more, knowing they’re made of whole food goodness instead of all those SAD ingredients. I hope you’ll try these and enjoy them as much as we have in our house!
- 1½ cups buckwheat flour (sorry, no substitutions for this recipe!)
- ½ cup non-alkalized cocoa powder
- 1 cup coconut sugar or other minimally processed granulated sweetener*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1½ cups unsweetened plant-based milk of your choice
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- double my Ultimate Vegan Chocolate Frosting to frost these bad boys, or use whatever frosting rings your jingle bells!
- crushed candy canes (optional of course—not whole food)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Lightly oil-spray your muffin tins or use cupcake papers.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together.
- Whisk all wet ingredients together.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk well to combine, making sure there are no lumps.
- Portion the batter into the cupcake liners, using ¼ cup for each. The cups should be about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- If desired, add some crushed peppermint candies to the tops for a festive garnish.
- Store in the fridge. The frosting will darken in color when exposed to the air.