Huevos Rancheros, Gluten Free
My niece and her husband were visiting us and I needed to come up with a Gluten Free breakfast that we all could enjoy together. This recipe made with Gluten Free Ranchero Sauce is a good option to keep in your file.
- 1/2 onion, chopped.
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped.
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil.
- 2 tablespoons corn starch, gluten free.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder.
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce, gluten free.
- 1 cup water.
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin.
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
- salt to taste
- 1 package corn tortillas
- 1 large can whole pinto beans, drained and smashed. (approx. 26 oz can)
- 2 cups grated cheese, 3 cheese Mexican blend or other cheese of your choice.
- 10-12 whole raw eggs.
- cilantro to garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno in 2 tablespoons of oil until onion is translucent.
- When slightly cooled transfer these ingredients to a blender along with the 8oz. of tomato sauce and blend until smooth then set aside.
- In same frying pan heat 1/4 cup oil over medium heat.
- Add the corn starch and chili powder and whisk in well.
- Add the tomato sauce blended veggie mixture and whisk in well.
- Add 1 cup of water and continue to whisk.
- Add the cumin, garlic powder, and brown sugar and whisk till blended.
- Add salt to taste.
- Reduce heat and cook until thickened.
- Drain and smash the pinto beans.
- In prepared casserole dish start layering the ingredients starting with a little sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the sauce with a layer of corn tortillas.
- Cover the tortillas with a layer of smashed beans.
- Cover the beans with a layer of sauce.
- Cover the sauce with a layer of tortillas.
- Cover the tortillas with a layer of cheese.
- Crack and add a whole raw egg to the top of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle with a little more cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until the egg white is set and the yolk is still runny. Approx. 20 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with cilantro.
You can vary the layers but finish with the tortillas and eggs on top. We had lactose intolerant guests for this meal also so I made a small pan of the Huevos Rancheros without any cheese layers at all and they were tasty and appreciated. If preferred you can omit the first layer of tortillas having just one layer on top of the casserole.
We also served our Huevos with some bacon. The Gluten free ranchero sauce can be used in other Mexican dishes, too, like enchiladas.