Lasagna on White Cheese Sauce
This is a delicious way to serve leftover lasagna to your family or even to company.
When you have unexpected company and wonder how to make that lasagna that has already been cut seem like it has been served the first time…
try this trick. In the time it takes to reheat the lasagna, a white cheese sauce can be ready to make it a new comfort meal.
This sauce can also be used as a white cheese sauce for macaroni.
- leftover lasagna (check our recipe index under main dishes for lasagna recipes)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups milk (low fat can be used but full fat makes a creamier sauce)
- 1 1/2 cup aged white cheddar, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place lasagna in 350 oven, tented with foil to reheat for 30 minutes. Alternately, reheat in microwave.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir to form a roux. Cook for several minutes to cook the starch. The mixture will be very thick.
- Add 1/2 cup of milk and stir and then add milk slowly, using a whisk the whole time to avoid lumps in the sauce. Once all the milk is added, continue to stir over medium heat until the sauce is smooth and beginning to bubble.
- Add the cheese and stir to melt and then season with salt.
- To serve, place 1/3 cup of cheese sauce in shallow serving bowls and place a serving of lasagna over the sauce and serve immediately.
Serve with crusty french bread and crisp salad.