Pear and Walnut Tart
A deep dish pear tart, adapted from Eat Smarter, with walnut honey filling in a nutty spelt shortcrust pastry. This is also great with the combination of apples and almonds.
|Spelt Walnut Crust||Filling|
- Combine all the ingredients for the crust and mix until the dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Combine vanilla sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Peel, halve, and use a melon-ball scoop to core and stem the pears. Cut them in half lengthwise and add to the saucepan. Adjust the heat to low and let it simmer for 12 minutes. Remove the pear halves and set aside to cool.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Beat the egg yolks with honey until thick and creamy. Fold in egg white.
- Preheat to 180C/350F. Roll out the chilled dough on floured sheet of parchment paper and Gently lay dough inside 9-10-inch spring form pan and press up the sides.
- Spread the walnut filling evenly into the crust. Arrange the pear halves atop filling and gently press in. Bake tart until golden, about 50 minutes. Cool tart in pan on rack. Cut tart into wedges and sprinkle with powdered sugar and chopped walnuts, if desired, and serve.