Pumpkin Pecan Cookies. Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free.
Pumpkin, how I adore you. These. Are. So. Good. Light, pillowy, pumpkin-spicy, sweet amazingness. Did I tell you I tried to grow sugar pumpkins this year? Yeah, well. I THOUGHT I was planting pumpkin seeds. Turns out it was butternut squash. And they completely took over my garden. I already had six butternut plants growing. You should see my basement—a.k.a. root cellar. I have enough butternuts to feed a small army! (sigh) I didn’t get one pumpkin.
Thankfully, I adore butternut squash almost as much as pumpkins. And thankfully, those cute sugar pumpkins are abundant in the markets this time of year. So I bought several and roasted/pureed for future recipes. Like this one!
I really have nothing more to say. So here is the recipe that you MUST try if you want to enjoy the most delicious cookies on the planet!
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- ⅓ cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup chopped, raw pecans
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup tightly-packed, pitted medjool dates
- ½ cup plant-based milk (I used soy)
- 1 TBS raw almond butter
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 TBS minimally processed sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 12 whole pecans
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
NOTE: You really don’t need the topping but it certainly adds another punch of flavor and makes these cookies extra special.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone mat.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Blend together the dates, milk and almond butter.
- Add the date mixture and the pumpkin puree to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Drop the cookies onto the baking sheet by about ¼ cup each. I used a ¼ cup ice cream scoop—makes the job so much easier!
- Flatten each cookie slightly and then press one pecan onto each cookie.
- Lightly coat each pecan with the maple syrup. I just used my finger to do this.
- Mix the cinnamon and the sugar together and top with the cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool and devour!
Makes 12 cookies. Enjoy!