Roasted Bell Pepper Salad
This Mediterranean salad is really simple and very refreshing. It could be served as an appetizer with a good slice of bread or as a side dish with grilled meat. It works great on the barbecue but you can also roast the bell peppers in the oven.
- 4 red, orange and/or yellow bell peppers
- 2 shallots
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- if you want: 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- Rinse the bell peppers and place them on a cookie sheet in the oven. Turn on the grill to its highest temperature.
- Rinse the shallots and wrap each of them in aluminum foil without peeling them. Place them in the oven with the peppers.
- Do the same with the whole, non-peeled garlic cloves.
- Allow the bell peppers to roast on each side until the skin becomes dark brown and bubbly (about 5 minutes on each side). Flip the shallots and garlic cloves once in a while as well.
- Once the bell peppers are roasted remove all the veggies from the oven. Place the bell peppers in a plastic box and close it. The steam coming out of the peppers will help detach the skin from the flesh. Pour cold water on the (closed) box to cool it down.
- Peel the bell peppers and remove their seeds. Cut them in long strips and place them in a salad bowl.
- Unwrap the shallots and garlic cloves, peel them and slice them. Add them to the salad.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and ground coriander seeds on the salad.
- Pour two tablespoons of olive oil and toss.