Tomato Mozza Appetizer Pastries
My neighbour often serves up delicious appetizers made from puff pastry so when I was asked to bring an appetizer to a recent bridal shower I was inspired to try my hand at using this frozen pastry dough .
They were delicious and so easy that I’ll be making them again.
Note: Check the package directions on how long to thaw the puff pastry
before you start on the recipe.
- 1 package puff pastry (found in the freezer section of the grocery store)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-2 tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Mozzarella cheese sliced 1/2″ thick and cut into 1 inch squares.
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- Mix mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, garlic and basil in a small bowl and set aside.
- Working with 1/2 of the puff pastry at a time, roll each out into a large square about 10″ x 10″.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut pastry into 2 inch squares.
- Place squares on to a parchment paper lined baking pan.
- Spread a teaspoon or so of mayonnaise mixture in the centre of each square.
- Top with 3 pieces of tomato, 3 pieces of Mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of fresh basil.
- Pinch edges of pastry together to make a sort of rustic circle.
- Bake at 400º for 15- 20 minutes or until golden and cheese begins to brown a little.
- Serve warm or cold.