Turkey Salisbury Steak
A perfect, quick, and healthy version of a childhood comfort food!
You will need:
300g (3/4 lb) Turkey Breast Mince
1 small egg
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp pepper1/2 cup skimmed milk
1 cup hot water
2 beef oxo (bouillon) cubes
1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
225g (about 9 oz) white mushrooms
Note: Recipe assumes the gravy is started as soon as the ‘steaks’ hit the frying pan.
1. In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, pepper, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix.
2. Add turkey mince, Worcestershire sauce, and egg to bowl. Combine as though you were making hamburgers and shape into 4 oblong-shaped patties.
3. In a greased frying pan, cook patties until browned on each side on a medium heat. Ensure that patties are fully-cooked (this can be done by keeping pan covered during browning). Remove from heat and keep covered/warm.
4. For the gravy, start by chopping up and frying the mushrooms in a bit of oil. Set aside.
5. In a saucepan, add flour and pepper. Whisk in oil. Heat until bubbling.
6. Dissolve oxo cubes in water and add to saucepan. Whisk and add milk.
7. Once combined, return mushrooms to saucepan and continue to heat until bubbling and thickened.
8. Serve steaks smothered in gravy! Lovely with potatoes and veg.